December 2019 Linkup Party for People with Chronic Illnesses



Every month, Sheryl from A Chronic Voice hosts a blog linkup party with great prompts for us to share. The December prompts connect to the winter holidays and everything that goes along with them. Let's see what I have to say about them.



Travelling




I've always been a homebody, and my chronic illnesses have reinforced that for me. This year my mobility has really suffered because of a very long flare, so most of my days are spent at home. Any travelling I do is usually to a doctor's office. We actually ended up cancelling Thanksgiving dinner with family because I wasn't sure if I would be able to make it out of the house. I didn't want our hosts to buy a pile of food and then have us back out at the last minute, so I told them a couple of weeks ahead of the holiday that we wouldn't be able to make it. They were really understanding, but I did miss being with them for Thanksgiving.



My husband is the one who does all the travelling, though it's all local. He is the driver, shopper, and overall MVP of getting that stuff done. We would be lost without him. 


Bonding





Autumn and winter holidays have always been my favorites. As the weather gets cooler and nature readies for its winter rest, it draws my family back indoors, to cuddle up together and bond over comforting foods and warm blankets. I love being able to show how I care for others by cooking and baking for them. This flare has seriously limited what I can do on my own, but both kiddos are old enough now to help out in the kitchen. They're my runners and sous chefs. We listen to music and talk about everything. The bonding time in the kitchen has made for some of my favorite memories. 

We usually have a holiday party in December for family and close friends. it's not a huge shindig, but we love being able to see everyone and celebrate the season. Because of my ever-present flare, we almost cancelled it this year. The kids have really stepped up, and have been helping with cleaning, decorating, and baking. A new medication has helped to mitigate some of my symptoms (at least temporarily), so I have been able to get some things done with everyone's help. I'm really looking forward to our party, rather than dreading it and wondering how I can get it all done. 

Warming 





The nights are getting chilly in my neck of the woods, so warming is an important part of everyday life. The radiator has been on in my house for at least the past month, so my toes are toasty. It's time for chili and hearty soups for dinner. I love it. 

Coping





If I'm totally honest, this has been a really tough year. I've been dealing with an increase in symptoms and decrease in mobility for the last six or seven months, and it's been bad. My coping skills have definitely been tested again and again. I do have habits and other things in place to help me though. I play a lot of mobile games and I read quite a bit on my tablet. Since the tablet is portable, I can use it wherever I feel comfortable. Keeping a schedule helps me cope with bad days as well. If I know what I'm doing and when I'm doing it, that helps me get through bad moments. I use meditation and distraction to help me with pain and the limitations that come with all of the things I deal with daily. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. Often, coping is really about accepting that things are crappy and I'm going to feel badly today. It's also about knowing that the next moment, or hour, or day or week will bring new challenges, but may also bring some relief. The hope that I will find a way to make things better, even marginally, is what helps me cope the most.

Ending


I am not really a fan of all the year-end navel gazing. Each day is an opportunity, and the year's end is an arbitrary thing. I don't fault anyone who chooses to do a year-end evaluation. If I've got it, I like to keep my forward-momentum, rather that stopping to take stock. I'm never sure if I'll be able to pick things back up once I stop.  

I'm hoping that these prompts helped you some some way. It was fun for me to write about them, and it helped me to focus on how I can enjoy the winter holidays even with all the complications that come with living with chronic illness. 



Be sure to visit the Linkup Party at A Chronic Voice



Comments

  1. I can so relate with all that you say. It's so hard to do some of the things that people take for granted, like travelling or partying, but I'm glad your family are there for you. I have my family too, all seven of them and although sometimes I'd like some peace, I really don't know what I'd do without having them around. If I was alone, well, I probably wouldn't be here at all. I hope you manage to have a wonderful Christmas and get lots of lovely baking done with your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smart call on cancelling early! I learned long ago that traveling during the holidays and my chronic illnesses don't mix. I'd rather spend time with friends and family without holiday stress. Wishing you a low pain Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for joining us, it's good to have you! I love that you can cook and use it as time for quality bonding time! Wish I could cook as well ;) Sending gentle hugs for the holidays! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That really hit home with me "I'm never sure if I'll be able to pick things back up once I stop." I hate crashing too because there's no guarantee that doing something you enjoy like a hobby will be taken away from you if the illness takes a turn. It sounds like you're set up for some lovely family time over Christmas. I hope you have a great time at your party and it doesn't take too much out of you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad that your kids have stepped up and helped you. Having help has been the only way my family can have a nice holiday :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts