What’s the word?



What’s the word?

As the new year approached, I started hearing about people choosing their words for the year. This was new to me. I had heard about resolutions before, but never this “word” thing. I decided to look a little deeper.

Most of the folks who chose a word were trying to make changes in their lives or trying to deal with challenges and achieving goals they had set. When it comes to this, a word of the year doesn’t really look much different than a resolution. It’s just a different, simpler, more broad way to make a resolution. But is it?




As far as I can tell, choosing a word instead of a resolution originated with Melinda Gates  She’s been doing it for a few years, and her most recent word was “grace”. "What I love about grace, at least the way I define it, is that by pulling us up out of ourselves and onto a higher plane, it makes us more open to the world, to new experiences, to each other. It creates connections and encourages empathy," she said.

Some of the words people have chosen are much less concrete than a resolution could ever be. Words like courage, joy, peace. Those are words that can impact everything we do. Living with your word could be a real, substantial way to change the way you relate to the world.

I’ve been thinking about what my word of the year should be. Over the last several years, I’ve faced a lot of things that either limit or change the way I interact with the world. We’ll get into that stuff another time. 

After thinking about it for a while, I came up with my word. It’s not spectacular, or dramatic, or anything like that. It’s very simple. My word of the year for 2019 is DO.

For me, the doing is the most important part. Will everything I do come to fruition? Will I be a success in all that I do? No, probably not. That’s just the reality. But the joy is in the doing. The knowing that I’ve tried. Experiencing new things, learning by doing. Taking chances, trying new things. All of that is in the doing. I hope you’ll walk along with me while I do. 

So, what’s your word? 

Comments

  1. Congratulations on your first blog post! Excited to hear more from you. I like what you said in how the word choice can change the way you relate to the world. Do is a great word choice - I look forward to hearing about the doing you do. :) I first chose a word for my year in 2014 which was "joy." Fast forward to last year I chose "kind." I haven't chosen a word for this year and I don't think I will. But I think it is a great way to go about the world- with purpose behind your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do is a very proactive word! Hope you get done all you set out to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a good idea. The more information we have the better we can advocate for ourselves. Listening to our bodies and keeping track. My mother keep a notebook of doctor appointments, vaccines, x-rays. I have in recent years flowed suit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mom was ahead of her time, and that sounds like a great example to follow. A notebook is a great idea, where you have all your info in one place.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts